Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Make. and make and make and make

Wow-- Its really been awhile since I made a post of substance!
I had a quick string of September shows and have been a busy bee the last few weeks! I jumped back on the screen print train and made some new work!

In addition to the Ladder Fern on Burlap I've added a Huron River Bed print, and am planning a few more for the holidays on this medium. I have a really rad commission I'm working on this month entirely in burlap, so expect to see more of these in the future!


A nice two-tone print of branches-- titled August Branches, September Branches, October Branches. These hang great alone or as a group-- either with the same color combo or in mixing it up a bit!


I have been collecting images of rocks and minerals for years, but just recently hopped on the bandwagon and started putting them to use. Here's my take on agate-- also available in a soft, butter yellow.


So, I've been doing this for around a year now and have had plenty of time to notice trends in my work. I am attracted to neutral and bright images alike, but seem to sell neutrals in much greater numbers-- I think this has a lot to do with shop customers wondering if particular colors might match their space. I plan to continue offering prints in both flavors, but am focusing a little more on neutrals for right now-- particularly delicious soft browns and lush grays.

I am also continuing to work on screen prints that work well together-- here's a group I'm loving right now. The brown tones work really well together in all three!



I should probably also talk about how I'm tending to distribute work, since you're probably reading this entry and wondering why you can't find all of these marvelous new prints on Etsy. Balancing shows with selling online, retail, and wholesale/special projects has been kind of challenging as my work has picked up speed this past year. I usually have a plan for this sort of thing (who am I kidding, for everything!) but I have had a very hard time choosing where to center my focus, and have turned into a bit of a whirling dervish as a result.

Hopefully I get my business together and narrow my scope really soon. In any event, if you'd like to pick up a print that isn't on Etsy, drop me a line and I will arrange it. I am thinking a massive holiday sale is in order this year-- hopefully my inventory will hold out and I can offer a Gift One/Get One sale, because I think that would be really fun!

I'm also happy to annouce that I will again be a vendor at this year's Detroit Urban Craft Fair, so if you're in the area you can skip the shipping and pick up some prints in person! I'm still waiting on acceptance to a couple other holiday shows-- if I'm in you'll be the first to know!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

man, I'm just never gonna get to a point where I don't want to buy new prints from you. its a good thing the hang so well together; I'm gonna end up with a wall of them.

I love the burlap. I love all the new prints. love love love.

also, I bought a cotton throw rug (which I'm currently using as a wall hanging) at Urban Outfitters (embarrassing) that vaguely reminds me of your stuff (with a lot less soul, which I think it takes a lot of talent to manifest in graphic screenprints).

Anonymous said...

this is Rachel, by the way. openid won't accept my livejournal all of a sudden.

Marcy said...

haha-- hi rachel!

would love to see a link to the rug if you have one!

i should tell you my urban outfitters inspiration story.

so around the holidays last year i was in uo with a friend shopping. at the one in ann arbor they have these little alcoves set up, one for dishes, one for pillows, rugs, etc with tall shelves dividing each that everything is stored on. so i saw this pillow with a nice embroidered leaf pattern that i loved, and was like 'i'm going to take a photo of this with my phone' so I go to reposition the pillow and as it turns out, there's no partition between the stack of these pillows and the glasses on the other side. so i reposition the pillow and i swear, what sounded like 40 glasses came crashing to the ground around the corner. i basically apologized profusely and ran out of the building and haven't been back since-- though now that i mention it, they probably have changed out all of their employees right now, so i bet its safe to return.